Wednesday, 16 January 2013

Exhibitions...


All images are primary imagery from exhibition Feb 2011

This is an exhibition i visited whilst in London in 2011 whilst on a college trip when studying my ED Fashion, Clothing and Textile Design course and Leeds College of Art. I have used this exhibition as inspiration as for the different shapes, fabrics used and techniques used. This is the work i produced for my blog at college. Creating this post helped me understand what people thing about certain exhibitions and the designers' work being displayed. Although this post is very different to my other ones it has shown me that reading different reviews helps you understand the designs and also what different peoples opinions.

The exhibition explores a wide range of Japanese fashion and Japanese design and its sense of beauty embodied in clothing.

This exhibition is very inspiring as it displays all the articulate work by the designers featured. It includes a wide range of garments, the designers and the history/inspiration behind them. The films show the ideas/catwalks used to show the practicality of the designer’s work. All the clothes were spot lit very effectively and it made me focus on the garments with great intent. The rooms were displayed with draped fabric which created a relaxed environment. Designers featured: Issey Miyake, Rei Kawakubo, Comme De Garcons and Koji Tatsuno.
I must say my recent visit to the Barbican’s Future Beauty: 30 Years of Japanese Fashion exhibition was an eye-opening insight. The colours, textures, fabrics and shapes were fantastic. I was instantly drawn to Koji Tatsuno’s delicate puffball dress.


I found the work very inspiring. I liked the way the clothes were displayed by only a few spotlights because it made me realise the detail on the garments and the thought processes behind them.

Overall I found this exhibition fantastic and it was extremely inspiring because I am currently studying fashion and I have been assigned a brief that features Japanese fashion. This exhibit helped me with the inspiration towards my work and I would highly recommend going to view it!

I'd say that the core issues are that this exhibition is very similar with the collections and displays despite the fact that all the garments have their own individuality and creativity. I can understand why people don't like this exhibition due to the fact it is all similar. I did enjoy looking round but i can see why people didn't enjoy it.



Date:08/02/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment